Mid+ Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer
No recruiters, please.
Car Next Door is the fastest-growing car sharing network in Australia. We’re on a mission to fundamentally change the way people think about transport and to free the planet from the ‘one person, one car’ mentality. Since 2012, we have successfully grown to having around 1,300 cars on our platform and have had over 100,000 bookings.
About the role
We are looking to attract an experienced and self-motivated Full-Stack Ruby on Rails developer, to join a highly experienced development team as we scale up. The role would suit someone who wants to play a key part in the development team, working on exciting projects in one of Australia's most promising start-ups. You will help drive the technology direction of the company, supported by our well-rounded team as we embark on a fast-paced programme of development to help the business expand throughout Australia and beyond.
What you'll be doing:
- You'll contribute to the development of Car Next Door’s core car-sharing platform. We're on Rails 5.1, and currently shifting the web front-end to Tailwind CSS and Stimulus JS. Everything's hosted on AWS with continuous delivery using Buildkite.
- There's a current focus on UX improvements to the platform before we push to an interesting set of new features and push further into things like analytics and machine learning.
- You'll contribute to the direction of our technical environment and development practices, and share the responsibility of ensuring we have a rock-solid platform that can cope with our rapid growth.
What you'll need to be successful:
- 3+ years' commercial software development experience (with at least two years RoR)
- A focus on detail including around automated tests and documenting your code
- Experience debugging and optimising web applications for speed and scale
- An agile mindset and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements
- Pride in your work and a desire to contribute to a small team of dedicated and talented people
- An understanding of what we’re doing (and why) and a passion to get involved
It would be a bonus if you had:
- A Computer science, engineering or equivalent degree
- A special area of focus, eg., data visualisation, performance tuning, cloud DevOps, or automated testing
More about the role:
This is a full-time remote position with a Sydney-friendly timezone. Head-office is in Sydney with the development team currently spread across Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Brisbane. The offer will include a salary and potential equity for the right person.
Why work for Car Next Door?
For a developer, Car Next Door is an amazing opportunity. Here are a few reasons why:
- You're working with a small but highly talented development team
- We take pride in our code. We set aside a day a week to address tech debt and improve the platform so that our systems are a pleasure to work with
- We are set up for remote work - even our Sydney-based members work a couple of days a week from home. Our CTO is based in Adelaide, and most of our discussions, including daily stand-ups, are on Zoom or Slack
- Our rapid growth over the coming months and years will generate new opportunities for ambitious team members looking for new challenges and responsibilities.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a Cover Letter detailing:
- Interesting information about you! - include how you heard about Car Next Door and the position, your visa situation, and how you address the skills and requirements for the role
- The most difficult API/library/software bug you've squashed
- The most technically impressive thing you've ever built
- The largest deployment you've worked on
- Links to your portfolio/Github profile or code samples to help us get a feel for how you write code
See How it Works: