Sustainability and carbon reduction
Offsetting our emissions
- We offset all emissions from Car Next Door trips through Australian Government certified carbon offset purchases
- We direct a portion of our carbon offset purchases to projects that have benefits beyond carbon offsetting, like reforestation and global development
- We offset our team’s personal emissions through Greenfleet’s native reforestation projects
- We’re an active member of Leaders for Climate Action, a business community centred around moving towards a global economy without greenhouse gas emissions
- We are commissioning a report to better understand our overall impact on carbon emissions
Why we offset emissions
We established Car Next Door to reduce the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere. Sharing existing cars reduces the number of new vehicles that need to be manufactured – and we know the embodied emissions created during the manufacturing process typically match or even exceed exhaust pipe emissions over a car’s lifetime.
Research also tells us that car sharing encourages both borrowers and owners to use cars less often, as they’re more aware of the cost of driving. Through our carbon offsetting activities we’re making sure that the remaining emissions that can’t be avoided are reduced by credible, certified carbon reduction projects.
The future is electric
We're working with Hyundai to increase the number of planet-friendly cars available to Borrowers, and to make it quick and easy for owners of low-emission Hyundais to list them for rent on Car Next Door. The addition of more hybrid and fully electric cars will make low-emission travel easy and affordable, and help owners of eco-friendly cars offset their car costs.